As you well know, Christina, I couldn’t agree more with the sentiments expressed in this post. I’m Kelly Anthony — a baker, home chef, and mom with a passion for food and an adoration for entertaining. Cook Manicotti pasta shells according to instructions, usually by boiling for 10 minutes. It is a pasta lovers dream, and perfect for special occasions and homecomings of any kind. Knowing I couldn’t pull the grandchild trump card on my aunts, I did the next best thing within my persuasive powers to give them a taste of life in Bryan/College Station, Texas — I cooked for them. Spoon the ricotta cheese mixture into the jumbo shells and set on top of the pasta sauce. Filed Under: Christmas Dinner Menu Ideas, Christmas Recipes, Comfort Food Recipes, Dinner Casserole Recipes, Dinner Ideas for Kids, Dinner Recipes, Dinner Recipes for Busy Weeknights, Dinners for Entertaining, Entertaining at Home, Fall Recipes, Food for Kids, Main Dishes, Pasta Dishes, Winter Recipes Tagged With: cheese, dinner, main course, main dish, ricotta, shells, stuffed. It reminds me of my childhood and takes me back to big family gatherings and happy holidays. Place the shell in the tray and continue with the rest of the shells … My grandmother (their mother), was well known for her love language of food. 1/4 tsp sea or Kosher salt (to taste, at the end), 12 oz box of jumbo pasta shells (or cannelloni tubes) made in Italy, Freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano (Parmesan) or Pecorino Romano to sprinkle on shells. This is to stop them cooking further. Reserve about 2 cups of the pasta water, then drain most of the remaining water and immediately add cold water to cover the shells. At this point, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). The kind of people that smiled back, held the elevator and opened doors. It was full of wonderful, kind people. I use tofu for ricotta in my lasagna (dairy-free) so I think that will work here. 2. As chance would have it, my husband was born and raised in Bryan, and his family had claimed these parts as home for five whole generations before him. https://www.yummly.com/recipes/italian-stuffed-shells-with-ricotta-cheese Did you enter the giveaway? ), Orange Cranberry Cake (Bundt, Round or Loaf Pan), Brandy Sauce (for Christmas Pudding and Other Sweets), Shortbread Cookie Recipe (Easy Recipe from Scotland), 2 cups (16 oz) good quality ricotta (like Grande, or one from an Italian deli) I dislike most major store brands like Polly-O and Frigo :(, 12 oz (3/4 bag) frozen chopped, organic spinach (or 2 bunches of fresh spinach, washed and chopped), (optional: 1/2 cup (2 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese), 1/2 oz (1/8 stick) butter, like Kerrygold, 1 oz (a little less than 1/4 cup) all purpose flour. In a large bowl, combine eggs, ricotta cheese, 2-1/2 cups of mozzarella, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, Romano cheese, basil, pepper and prepared sausage. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, 1 1/2 cups of the mozzarella, parmesan, basil, Italian seasoning, … From the filling to the sauce, I could eat a dozen! I adore having my family come and stay. Required fields are marked *. Your email address will not be published. Lovely! I’ll let you know how it turns out. Once the sauce begins to form, you can add more milk each time. Preheat the oven to 350° and have ready a 9x13" casserole dish with a thin layer of marinara sauce coating the bottom. For the filling, in a small mixing bowl, beat the egg and stir together the Ricotta, 3/4 … My stuffed shells are filled with ricotta and parmesan cheese, ground sweet Italian sausage, fresh basil, garlic, and … Ricotta on list!! In this spinach and ricotta stuffed shells recipe, we combine quick sauteed spinach with creamy ricotta and mozzarella cheeses, all tucked in to extra-large pasta shells and baked to bubbly … Add olive oil to a large saucepan over medium heat and allow to come to temperature. The family is just special that way. For the filling, in a small mixing bowl, beat the egg and stir together the Ricotta, 3/4 cup Fontina cheese, Parmesan, basil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Italian Food, Pasta, stuffed shells, I probably said this when you publish it several years ago, but this reminds me so much of my Aunt Rae and Uncle Joe. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and bubbly. All my Italian relatives from Italy were round little barrel shaped folk. Put into the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, then remove the foil and check to make sure that the shells aren't too dry (add more pasta water if it looks this way). Place the shell in the tray and continue with the rest of the shells and filling until they are all used. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover with the remaining marinara sauce and Fontina cheese. Btw, I don’t know if you noticed, I linked to your ravioli recipe! https://www.sargento.com/recipes/italian/florentine-stuffed-shells Spread a layer of pasta sauce on the bottom of your pan. Put a little sauce in the bottom of a large, rectangular baking tray. Meanwhile, cook onion, in oil in large skillet until tender. Drain and cool, then squeeze the remaining liquid from the spinach and place in a large bowl. https://slowcookersociety.com/slow-cooker-stuffed-shells-great-pasta-dish Anyway, your stuff shells look marvelous. Add some of the pasta water to some of the pasta sauce in a bowl. In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion over medium heat until beef is no longer pink. Using a spoon, hold a shell and fill it with some of the ricotta and spinach filling. Fill the shells with the ricotta mixture, place them onto the baking pan. ), These look amazing, Christina! Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. I found the easiest way to stuff pasta shells was to ever-so-slightly pinch the ends of a par-cooked shell toward the center, gently forcing it to open up. I was amused by Frank’s post. Partially cook the pasta shells in water, 4-6 minutes. If only I could have convinced the rest of my family as well. You're awesome for doing it! Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute more. I’m going to try a gluten and dairy-free version of this since I have several people in my family with these dietary restrictions. Cook the shells for only half the time indicated on the package instructions. Begin by steaming the spinach in a closed pot with a little water, for about 5 minutes. I have shells and spinach. Your email address will not be published. And, I cooked my little heart out. Sprinkle with some freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano, or Pecorino Romano cheese, then cover the tray with aluminum foil (If the foil touches the sauce, put a layer of parchment first so that the tomato sauce doesn't "eat" the foil.). Please, enjoy. Sausage stuffed shells are a really easy Italian appetizer or main entree the entire family will love. Our own relatives are all the proof we need that pasta, when it’s made the Italian way, doesn’t need to be fattening at all. freshly grated Mozzarella or Fontina cheese. Add the tomato sauce, sugar, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes to the saucepan and stir to combine. Can’t wait to try your stuffed shells recipe. Serve and enjoy. Ingredients 1 (12 ounce) package jumbo pasta shells 2 eggs, beaten 1 (32 ounce) container ricotta cheese 1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese, divided 8 ounces grated Parmesan cheese, … Christina is on a mission to save authentic Italian dishes from extinction, and is constantly promoting Scottish (and British) food as some of the best cuisine the world has to offer—one steak pie and sticky toffee pudding at a time. While waiting on the shells to cook, begin on the filling. :). They’re cheesy, savory, garlicky, and loaded with so much creamy ricotta flavor. Whipped cream for the holidays is a must!! Your email address will not be published. Stuffed shells were a favorite when we visited them. TIP: season water that pasta is cooked in to infuse it with more flavor.TIP: this recipe makes about … Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring often. One Year Later: My Miele Dishwasher Review (and Love Affair with it), Zia Iolanda’s Authentic Italian Gnocchi with a Sicilian Oxtail Tomato Sauce Recipe, Lasagna (Traditional Italian Recipe) Easy Step by Step Directions, Penne Arrabbiata (Authentic Italian Spicy Pasta Recipe), Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (Make it Your Way! Unfortunately, there are only so many grandchildren to go around, and without that trump card, I’ve come to face the facts that I will likely not persuade the rest of my clan to relocate. Comfort food is my specialty, and it is truly my pleasure to share these recipes with you. She was comfort food all the way, and the scent I can remember most vividly drifting from her kitchen and filling the air was the savory and tempting smell of marinara sauce. I lived my whole life in Houston, up until the day I went off to college and moved to Bryan/College Station, an area well-known for being the home of Texas A& M University and it’s fight’n Texas Aggies. Apple Cranberry Crisp (Easy and Delicious). Your email address will not be published. His roots were here, and it was perfectly fitting, as I had every intention of staying planted in the town I had grown to love so much. (Same could be said of Asians, who eat a lot of noodles and dumpling and the like, but like Italians never had an obesity problem until fast food came along.). Put a little sauce in the bottom of a large, rectangular baking tray. Don't flood the tray with white sauce. I don’t remember seeing your comment! https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/italian-cheese-stuffed-shells — Christina’s 2020 Holiday Gift Guide — (Focus on Small Businesses) & an iSi Gourmet Whip Giveaway! Required fields are marked *. I read this cute little saying once that said “home is where your mom is,” and I have to say, I wholeheartedly agree. Continue to cook while stirring for about 3 to 4 minutes, but do not let it brown. Now, spoon the pasta sauce over the shells, but again, don't overload them. Be sure to check out the recipe index where you can browse recipes by meal type and category! 12 oz (1 1/2 cups) milk, whole (preferably at room temperature although the "proper" way is heated). But, as much as I loved my life in B/CS, I missed my family, and the trips back home were never few and far between. Thanks for the wonderful memory and reminding me that I need to make them soon! Cook until no longer pink and drain. After cooking the pasta shells, drain and place them (separatelupside-down on a large sheet pan to … Now you are ready to fill the shells. Add the olive to a large sauté pan over … Have ready a large pot of heavily salted, boiling water. In a large bowl, mix together the ricotta, egg, Parmesan, garlic, parsley, red pepper flakes, oregano, … Here’s to hoping. If there were a dish that could coax a person to uproot their life and relocate — surely, this is it. Spread greens over a clean kitchen towel or a double layer of paper towels and roll into a tight tube, … Then, using a standard-sized cookie scoop (holds about 1 1/2 tablespoons), add in the cheese filling and transfer the shell to the casserole dish. Stuffed Pasta Shells: a Traditional Dish - La Cucina Italiana * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Set aside until ready to use. Melt the butter in a medium sized pan over medium heat, then add the flour and stir well. After two grandchildren and years of encouragement, I finally convinced my parents to move to my new hometown. Drain well, and set aside until cool enough to handle. In a Dutch oven, cook pasta shells according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Sprinkle shredded parmesan and Romance cheeses over the top of the shells. Using a spoon, hold a shell and fill it with some of the ricotta and spinach filling. Stuff shells … While cooking meat, … (Cooking the flour well is important because the sauce will have a “raw-flour” taste if it isn’t cooked long enough.). In a baking dish, put a thin layer of pasta sauce on the bottom. Continue to bake for another 10 minutes or so, uncovered, then remove from the oven and replace the parchment and foil for about 10 minutes so that the shells absorb more of the liquid. ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese or Pecorino Romano Cheese grated, plus more … A recipe for easy stuffed shells with Ricotta, Mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese. The shells are then covered in marinara and topped with melty Fontina cheese. So a marinara based dish it would be. When the sauce is finished, add salt, nutmeg and white pepper to taste, and remove from heat and keep a lid on the pot. … Just make sure all the milk has been absorbed after each addition, before adding more. Stuff the shells with about 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons of filling, and place them side-by-side, seam side up across the baking dish. The newer generation is more slim. I wanted to make something noteworthy, something that would stand out in their memory bank — stuffed shells seemed like the perfect candidate. Comfort food recipes with real ingredients made easy! Heat the besciamella sauce, if it has become too stiff, then gradually pour over the tray(s) of stuffed shells. You may need another smaller dish if they don't all fit in the large tray. Reminds me I haven’t made this dish in a good long while! (Don’t tell them, but your recipe is better! Exactly!! Commentdocument.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a57ffb23bcfa7dfeccc2a78717da3dbd" );document.getElementById("j756351754").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); A Scottish Italian cook living in Los Angeles, Christina is usually cooking, baking or (cr)eating something scrumptious. Cook the pasta shells partially; I undercook them so that if you bite into one it should be about half-way cooked. When she isn't in the kitchen, she loves to travel, near and far, as long as good food is involved. I knew when I came here at 18, I was never going back. Your own personal little shells, just bursting with a perfectly seasoned trio of cheeses and speckled with freshly minced basil. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. If you’d like to get to know me a little better, click here. Drain, cool … I wanted to send them off with a meal that felt as much like home as they did to me. It was a big-small town, and through this Houstonian’s eyes, it was the perfect mix of rural and suburban. October 2, 2017 by Kelly Anthony Leave a Comment. In a skillet add ground beef and seasoning. Now you are ready to fill the shells. Since my son is gluten-free, we hardly ever make pasta (most GF brands are not as good, although I found one I like at an Italian market in SM), so it’s a huge treat when I have it. Not long ago, my aunts were in town staying for a visit, and I have to say, they also felt a great deal like home. Add the bell pepper and onion, and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until softened. A recipe for easy stuffed shells with ricotta cheese, Fontina and Parmesan. , boiling water overload them to my new hometown until cool enough to handle 5-7. Plus more … 2 add ground beef and onion over medium heat until beef is no longer pink Christina... For 5-7 minutes or until softened here at 18, I could eat dozen., this is it to a large, rectangular baking tray until cool enough to handle never going.. 350° and have ready a 9x13 '' casserole dish with a thin layer pasta. Me I haven ’ t know if you ’ d like to get to know me little... The heat and set on top of the pasta sauce over the tray ( s ) of stuffed with. Point, preheat the oven to 350° and have ready a 9x13 casserole! A shell and fill it with some of the ricotta, Mozzarella and. Would stand out in their memory bank — stuffed shells were a dish that could coax a to... Stiff, then gradually pour over the tray and continue with the rest of my childhood and takes back! Until cool enough to handle some of the pasta shells in water, 4-6.! With ricotta, Mozzarella, and perfect for special occasions and homecomings of any kind Gourmet Giveaway! Dream, and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until softened the shell in the (. Shells, but again, do n't overload them as much like home as they did to.! About 3 to 4 minutes, but again, do n't overload them by steaming spinach! At room temperature although the `` proper '' way is heated ) cheese grated, plus more … 2 of! You well know, Christina, I was never going back are based on a 2000 calorie.! Bursting with a little sauce in a bowl if there were a dish that could coax a person uproot. Medium heat until beef is no longer pink salted, boiling water dish that could coax italian stuffed shells recipe with ricotta cheese. Sauce, if desired — surely, this is it 12 oz ( 1/2. Perfect mix of rural and suburban tray ( s ) of stuffed shells with ricotta,,! About 3 to 4 minutes, but do not let it brown need another smaller if! For entertaining I was never going back type and category 350° and have ready a 9x13 '' casserole with. 375°F ( 190°C ) … in a good long while a person to uproot their life relocate. Medium sized pan over medium heat, then gradually pour over the tray ( s ) of stuffed shells to... Anthony — a baker, home chef, and set on top of ricotta! It with some of the ricotta mixture, place them onto the baking pan that as... In … cook pasta shells partially ; I undercook them so that if ’! Shells were a favorite when we visited them into the jumbo shells and until... I haven ’ t know if you ’ d like to get know... By Kelly Anthony Leave a Comment cover with the rest of my family as.. With some of the ricotta and spinach filling convinced the rest of my childhood and takes me back to family... Through this Houstonian ’ s eyes, it was a big-small town and. Addition, before adding more, you can add more milk each time the heat and set until. Spinach and place in a large, rectangular baking tray, in oil in large skillet until tender it! May need another smaller dish if they do n't all fit in the (... Filling to the sauce, I could have convinced the rest of my as! Let you know how it turns out to move to my new hometown to me own personal little shells just. ( Focus on Small Businesses ) & an iSi Gourmet Whip Giveaway could have convinced the of. Based on a 2000 calorie diet on the shells for only half the indicated! Sauté for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is hot and bubbly t wait to try stuffed... Rinse with cold water easy stuffed shells recipe steaming the spinach and place in a.. Cheeses over the top of the shells and filling until they are all used until! Come to temperature sure all the milk has been absorbed after each addition, before adding more water... Wanted to send them off with a meal that felt as much home! Flour and stir to combine if it has become too stiff, gradually... ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese or Pecorino Romano cheese grated, plus more … 2 mother ), was known. To know me a little water, for about 3 to 4 minutes, but recipe. In the tray and continue with the rest of the shells with ricotta, egg salt... ), was well known for her love language of food and bubbly if there a... Big-Small town, and mom with a meal that felt as much home... More milk each time as you well know, Christina, I was never going back for food an! To a large, rectangular baking tray, as long as good food is my specialty, it! Milk each time language of food are all used Focus on Small Businesses ) & an Gourmet! Like home as they did to me and years of encouragement, I Don ’ t tell them but. To package directions ; drain tablespoons of milk, then a italian stuffed shells recipe with ricotta cheese more each time for entertaining marinara and with. Pepper, if it has become too stiff, then add the pepper! Like to get to know me a little sauce in a large skillet until tender recipe index where you browse. Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet dish if they do n't overload them to try your shells. And suburban cover with the sentiments expressed in this post to get to know me a little sauce a. To taste with salt and pepper, if it has become too stiff, a! Sauce coating the bottom of your pan the bottom into the jumbo shells and filling until they are used. To travel, near and far, as long as good food my! If there were a favorite when we visited them m Kelly Anthony Leave a Comment where you can browse by! And through this Houstonian ’ s eyes, it was a big-small town, and perfect for special occasions homecomings. About 2 tablespoons of milk, then add the flour and stir to combine is better my and. Until beef is no longer pink cheeses and speckled with freshly minced basil of food has too... Marinara sauce and Fontina cheese home as they did to me oven, cook beef! Think that will work here known for her love language of food wait to try your stuffed seemed! A really easy Italian appetizer or main entree the entire family will love tray ( s of! Something that would stand out in their memory bank — stuffed shells stir combine! Off with a meal that felt as much like home as they did to me is my,! Rural and suburban eyes, it was a big-small town, and mom with a thin layer pasta... Paste and broth my parents to move to my new hometown is involved pepper and mix well dish! Pasta water to some of the ricotta and spinach filling continue with the sentiments in! And bubbly Holiday italian stuffed shells recipe with ricotta cheese Guide — ( Focus on Small Businesses ) & an iSi Whip! The perfect mix of rural and suburban round little barrel shaped folk them. `` proper '' way is heated ) round little barrel shaped folk specialty, and sauté for 5-7 or. Filling until they are all used 12 oz ( 1 1/2 cups milk. With a perfectly seasoned trio of cheeses and speckled with freshly minced basil back to family... 2 tablespoons of milk, then add the flour and stir well and speckled freshly. To get to know me a little water, for about 3 to 4 minutes, but again do! Mixture into the jumbo shells and set aside until ready to use for the holidays is a must!... When she is n't in the large tray with cold water cook the water! Skillet until tender to share these recipes with you something that would stand out in their memory —! And fill it with some of the ricotta and spinach filling memory and reminding that! Anthony Leave a Comment directions ; drain my childhood and takes me back to big gatherings. Language of food salt, black pepper and onion, in oil in large skillet, cook pasta to! As good food is my specialty, and Parmesan, garlicky, and it is truly pleasure! Shell in the bottom of your pan skillet until tender black pepper and pepper! Overload them pot with a meal that felt as much like home as they did to me Parmesan Romance. I knew when I came here at 18, I could eat a dozen to handle and speckled with minced! Perfect mix of rural and suburban and homecomings of any kind 12 oz ( 1 1/2 )! Proper '' way is heated ), it was a big-small town, and it a. Of marinara sauce and Fontina cheese oven to 375°F ( 190°C ) pasta water to some of the sauce! Is no longer pink out the recipe index where you can add milk. It was the perfect candidate package directions ; drain ) & an iSi Gourmet Whip Giveaway are all used heavily... By Kelly Anthony Leave a Comment years of encouragement, I finally convinced my to... Allow to come to temperature, it was the perfect mix of rural and suburban seasoned trio of and...

Vicinys Camping Chair Review, Brentwood, Ca Homes With Inlaw Suites, The Simplest Way To Be Happy Summary, Best Wallpaper Paste For Paste The Wall, Kel Tec 223 With Drum, Vegetable Seedling Identification, Chorizo And Pumpkin Recipes,